Attention: Acupuncture Alumni
If you ARE a current, permanent VA employee, or Federal Employee of another agency, you should apply under announcement: CBST-11314858-22-AH
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, YOU MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE, OR YOU WILL RECEIVE AN ELECTRONIC NOTICE THAT YOU ARE RATED INELIGIBLE. SEE QUALIFICATIONS SECTION AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS SECTION FOR DETAILS. KSAs MUST BE DEMONSTRATED IN YOUR RESUME. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT AND REFER BACK TO IT OFTEN WHEN WRITING YOUR RESUME.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Treats a wide range of conditions and acupuncture may be used alone or as an adjunct to traditional medical care.
- Educates patients on healthy lifestyle changes such as nutrition, exercise, sleeping habits, stress management, mind body techniques and other matters related to acupuncture care.
- Utilizes various techniques commonly taught in East Asian Medicine or Acupuncture schools.
- Provides group acupuncture as determined.
- Documents and codes information related to patient care in the VA’s electronic health care record on a timely basis following VHA policies.
- Communicates with other health care providers as appropriate.
- Attends required meetings and maintains up to date with VHA and professional trainings.
- Reviews referrals, screens for appropriateness of care, and directs Veterans to other services when necessary.
- Serves as subject matter expert on acupuncture and East Asian Medicine services and provides guidance when requested regarding purchased care.
- Seeks to understand and meet the needs of individual patients regarding age, developmental, and cultural needs.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00AM-4:30PM.
Telework: Not available.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not authorized.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Conditions of Employment
You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
You may be required to serve a probationary period
Subject to a background/security investigation
Must be proficient in written and spoken English
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP)
Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Personnel
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Candidates must meet one of the following, (1) Master’s degree in acupuncture or oriental medicine from a program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM). OR (2) Advanced level degree in acupuncture or oriental medicine from a program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
- Certification: Acupuncturists hired in the VHA must be board certified through the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM). The board certification must be current and the acupuncturist must abide by the certifying body’s requirements for continuing education.
- Licensure: Current, full, active, and unrestricted license to practice acupuncture in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency: Candidates must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Experience: None beyond the basic requirements.Acupuncturist, GS-11 (Full Performance Level)
Experience or Education: Individual must meet at least one of the requirements below:
Experience. In addition to the basic requirements, must have one year of creditable experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level, which is directly related to the position to be filled.
Education. Doctoral degree or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university in an acupuncture or oriental medicine.Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA). In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate all of the following KSAs:
(KSAs must be clearly reflected in resume under description of duties in order to be found qualified for this grade level, please be specific in describing duties performed which demonstrate that you possess the KSAs required for this position/grade level, we may not make assumptions regarding your experience).
1. Ability to screen referrals and direct veterans to other services as appropriate.
2. Ability to formulate an appropriate differential diagnosis.
3. Ability to formulate an acupuncture treatment plan independently or with other health care professionals.
4. Ability to educate patients on health lifestyle changes including nutrition, exercise, sleeping habits, stress management, mind body techniques and other matters related to acupuncture care. This includes the ability to communicate with individuals of varying backgrounds.
5. Skill in the selection and use of the appropriate acupuncture tools and supplies based on needs of the patient.References: VA Handbook 5005/100, Part II, Appendix G53.The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-9 to GS-11.Physical Requirements: The work is usually sedentary, but requires periods of walking, standing, bending and light lifting (up to 20 lbs).
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.